Director of Operations
Posted February 18, 2021
Under direct supervision of the Assistant General Manager and General Manager, direct and coordinate personnel, subcontractors, and daily activities involved in facility operations and the successful execution of events by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct, supervise and schedule all aspects of operations including building engineering, maintenance and operations crew, housekeeping, ADA compliance and work cooperatively with Event Services and catering department to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events.
- Develop operating procedures that conform to corporate standards, customized to the specific needs of the facility and consistent with the goals and objectives of the client, facility and corporation.
- Manage subordinate supervisors who oversee employees in various functions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Attend department head meetings and staff meetings. Develop and maintain a harmonious working relationship with all of the other departments
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget and recommend an annual capital budget for long-range repairs and improvements to the facility. Authorize the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
- Know and guarantee all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed. Develop program to train operation department employees on fire/life safety and emergency procedures.
- Investigate, analyze and resolve operational problems and complaints. Conduct operation departmental staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems, and policy changes.
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of service agreements for refuse, exterminating and other operations agreements as needed. Review contracts for compliance with event and/or government specifications and suitability for occupancy.
- Rotate with other facility personnel to function as Manager on Duty (MOD), who maintains total responsibility and authority over all clients, staff personnel, patrons, security and safety in assigned buildings. Responsibilities include but not limited to making sure contractual agreements are met and clients' event requirements and changes have been made in a timely fashion. On-duty staff/subcontractors ultimately report to the MOD through any Managers or Supervisors who are present during the event.
- Act as liaison between Event Services, tenants and facility contractors as needed.
- Plan, budget and schedule facility's modifications including cost estimates, bid sheets, layouts and contracts for construction and conversions.
- Inspect conversions, construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established specifications.
- Develop and implement maintenance schedules for electrical, HVAC, and other building operation systems, and safety and risk management policies.
- Ensure facility's fire and emergency safety systems are in operating order and compliant with all codes, ordinances and laws.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.