Executive Sous Chef
Posted October 20, 2020
This is an administrative and hands-on production position with unlimited creative outlets overseeing the daily operations of the Culinary and Stewarding department at the Cox Convention Center. This position is second in command over the Culinary and Stewarding departments and is responsible for purchasing, receiving and producing food items within the facility. Responsible for all duties in the absence of the Executive Chef. Responsible for ensuring the highest level of quality and safety while operating under specified fiscal guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintaining food costs and budget goals.
- Review BEO's (Banquet Event Orders), monitor current inventory, set ordering quantities, submit orders through our primary vendor, receive and check-in product deliveries and supervise storage and rotation of product in storerooms, walk-ins and freezers.
- Attend internal event-related meetings and relay immediate changes to other internal departments.
- Monitor and communicate to Executive Chef about necessary equipment repair or lack of equipment needed to complete the daily duties.
- Maintain kitchen to Health Department codes, meeting with and communicating sanitation concerns and goals to the Executive Stewarding Manager.
- Produce daily prep and production lists in accordance with banquet event orders and retail production sheets
- Translate the philosophy of the Executive Chef through leading by example with high standards in food quality, presentation, organization and financial goals.
- Maintain and enforce safe and sanitary working conditions within the culinary & stewarding department through proper education of equipment, hazardous material and health department guidelines.
- Responsible for ordering, receiving and stocking of perishables and non-food supplies.
- Control waste through proper calculation of ordering and production.
- Works in collaboration with the Executive Chef in the creation and documentation of new recipes and custom menus.
- Maintain a visionary approach to the culinary department, promoting continuous improvement of standards, quality, systems and financial goals.
- Conduct monthly inventory and update inventory sheet pricing and new products as needed.
- Attend weekly BEO meetings as needed.
- Responsible for overall production of hot and cold foods.
- Utilize machinery, hand tools and knives in the production of food items. Instructs and educates all kitchen and stewarding staff in the safe and proper handling of equipment.
- Assure the safety of the work environment and report any potential hazards to the Food & Beverage Director and Human Resources.
- Document all work-related injuries and illnesses by completing a First Report of Injury form and submit to Human Resources immediately.
- Responsible for controlling food and labor costs.
- Responsible for daily security and lock down of kitchen area.
- Correspond with sales staff in order to achieve correct and current information regarding future events.
- Evaluate cost of goods and correspond with purveyors in order to locate the best pricing, service, and quality.
- Coordinate with Catering Services Manager, Assistant Manager or Captains on the flow and timing of events.
- Responsible for culinary operations in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Other duties as assigned